If you are a fond owner of a cute pet cat, then you will know how soft, cozy and vulnerable these little fellas are.
Let’s discuss common winter cat care questions and tips to keep your cat warm, happy, and healthy in the winter months.
Table of Contents
- In short, You need to buy these Cat winter care products
- What temperature can cats tolerate in winter?
- Do cats get cold inside the house?
- How to keep cats warm in winter?
- How do stray cats survive cold weather?
- Winter preparation guide for cat owners
- Make sure she’s microchipped
- Flea, tick and worm treatments
- Regular brushing
- Show some love for stray cats too
In short, You need to buy these Cat winter care products
*contains affiliate links to Amazon. in-read our disclaimer
|Dog/Cat Bed||See on Amazon|
|AmazonBasics Elevated Portable Pet House – Small, Blue||See on Amazon|
|Cat and Dog Throw Blanket in Lux Fur, Self-Warming, Multi-use (Car, Travel, Sofa Cover, Floor, Crates), Machine Washable||See on Amazon|
|Cat clothes and jacket||See on Amazon|
|Toys for cats do avoid depression||See on Amazon|
|Room heater||See on Amazon|
What temperature can cats tolerate in winter?
Cats can tolerate not lesser than 7 degrees Celcius in winter. That’s an extreme limit. You need to be cautious when the temperature drops below 10 degrees Celcius.
Do cats get cold inside the house?
Cats typically have warm coats, and if they stay inside they are safe. However, they can still get cold if they are short-haired.
How to keep cats warm in winter?
- Buy a heated, water-resistant shelter made especially for cats.
- Provide plenty of warmed cat food and water.
- Keep your cats inside
- Leave out a soft blanket, towel, or pet bed in a warm room so they can snuggle up on their own when they want to rest.
- If you have a senior cat with arthritis problems, buy for them them a pet bed designed to soothe aching joints.
- Use a room heater, especially if you need to leave your cat home alone for long stretches of time.
How do stray cats survive cold weather?
Yes. Community cats, also called outdoor, stray or feral cats can survive winter on their own.
Winter preparation guide for cat owners
- Stock up on cat supplies (foods etc.). Buy them here on Amazon.
- Secure entrances and exits
- Provide indoor litter boxes.
- Keep them hydrated
- Protect them from intruders (outside animals who can sneak inside for shelter)
- Keep in mind fire safety. Don’t let them alone near the furnaces.
- Visit the veterinarian
Make sure she’s microchipped
If your cat does roam away from home, ensuring your up-to-date contact details are stored on her microchip means she’ll easily be traced back to you.
Flea, tick and worm treatments
While parasites are more prevalent during the warmer seasons, they live in our environment all year round. It’s very important for your cat’s health that you continue to provide them with flea, tick, and worm medication in the winter months. Pet parents commonly experience outbreaks of fleas in winter, especially in homes with carpets, as indoor heating creates an ideal opportunity for the residual flea eggs and larvae in the environment to hatch and thrive.
Don’t forget to regularly brush your cat in winter, especially if they’re of a breed that develops undercoats. While this thicker fur can help to insulate your cat from the cold, if you don’t help your cat to maintain it, the matting can cause your pet discomfort. Using a good quality brush to remove unwanted fur is an important routine to maintain in winter to ensure that your cat doesn’t develop mats or knots. This will also enhance the bond between you and your kitty.
Show some love for stray cats too
If possible, take the kind initiative to provide shelter to the homeless cats in your vicinity. Cats do not need a lot of space, just enough to stand and move about and protect themselves from the harsh weather. It is also observed that a cat in winter often relies on their mates for warmth, they create their own tight spaces within the shelter. Considering that, whatever small haven that you can provide them will be an act of kindness.
Now that you know how to care for a cat in winter, make sure your feline friend has a comfortable and happy season. In fact, we think it is the perfect time to cuddle and get cozy with your little one and enjoy the weather!
How cold is too cold for cats?
Below 7 degrees Celcius
How do I keep my indoor cat warm in the winter?
You can buy heat pads, blankets, winter clothes, and other items listed in this article to keep your cat warm in winter.
Should I keep my cat inside in the winter?
Yes, it is always the best option to protect your cat in winter.
Do cats need blankets in winter?
Yes, they do.