Table of Contents
Indian Railways allows passengers to bring their pets on board, but there are certain rules and regulations that must be followed. Travelling with pets on Indian railways requires careful planning and adherence to specific guidelines to ensure the safety and comfort of both your pet and fellow passengers. Here, we will explore the essential aspects of travelling with pets on Indian railways, including ticketing, documentation, pet carriers, and more.
Understanding the Pet Policy
Before embarking on your train journey, it’s crucial to familiarize yourself with Indian Railways’ pet policy. The policy outlines the rules and regulations for travelling with pets, ensuring a smooth and harmonious travel experience for everyone involved. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Pets can travel on Indian railways, but there are certain conditions and restrictions.
- Only dogs, cats, and birds are permitted as pets on trains.
- Pets are only allowed to travel in AC first-class and first-class compartments.
- Each passenger is allowed to carry a maximum of two pet dogs, cats, or birds.
- The pets must be clean, healthy, and free from diseases.
- They should be properly vaccinated and have a valid vaccination certificate.
- Pets are not allowed to travel in AC2 tier, AC3 tier, AC Chair Car, Sleeper Class, and Second Class compartments.
- Pets must wear a muzzle and be on a leash whenever they are outside of their basket or crate.
- Pets are not permitted to occupy seats or berths.
- Pets must be carried in a basket or crate that is large enough for them to stand up and turn around in.
- You will be held responsible for any damage caused by your pet, including any damage to the train or other passengers’ belongings.
Booking Train Tickets for Your Pet
To ensure a hassle-free journey, it’s important to book tickets for your pet in advance. Here’s what you need to know about pet ticketing on Indian railways:
- Pet tickets can be booked along with the passenger’s ticket.
- The fare for a pet ticket is generally 30% of the second-class luggage rate.
- It is advisable to book your pet’s ticket at the same time you make your reservation to secure a spot.
To book a pet for travel on Indian Railways, you need to contact the parcel office at the railway station where you will be boarding the train. You will need to provide the following information:
- The name, breed, and weight of your pet.
- The destination of your journey.
- You will also need to pay the applicable charges.
Proper documentation is vital when travelling with pets on Indian railways. To avoid any last-minute complications, make sure you have the following documents ready:
- A valid vaccination certificate from a registered veterinarian.
- Identification tags or microchips for your pets.
- A health certificate issued by a veterinary doctor clearly certifying that your pet is fit to travel.
Choosing the Right Pet Carrier
Selecting the appropriate pet carrier is crucial to ensure the comfort and safety of your furry companion during the train journey. Consider the following factors when choosing a pet carrier:
- Opt for a sturdy carrier that is well-ventilated.
- Ensure the carrier is spacious enough for your pet to stand, sit, and turn around comfortably.
- The carrier should have a secure latch or lock mechanism to prevent any accidental openings.
Preparing Your Pet for the Journey
Preparing your pet for the train journey is essential to minimize stress and ensure their well-being. Here are a few tips to help you prepare your pet:
- Familiarize your pet with the carrier before the journey by allowing them to explore and spend time inside it.
- Take your pet for a short practice trip in the carrier to acclimate them to the sensation of being transported.
- Pack essential items such as food, water, medications, and comfort items to keep your pet comfortable during the journey.
The charges for travelling with a pet on Indian Railways are as follows:
AC first class: Rs. 60 per kilogram per pet.
First-class: Rs. 30 per kilogram per pet.
For small pets (puppies and kittens)
If you are carrying puppies or kittens, they can be kept in baskets in all classes, but they must be muzzled and on a leash at all times. The charges for carrying puppies and kittens are as follows:
All classes: Rs. 20 per kilogram per pet.
Here are some tips to ensure a smooth journey with your pet on Indian Railways
- Make sure your pet is well-behaved and comfortable in their basket or crate.
- Bring enough food and water for your pet during the journey.
- Take your pet for a walk before the train departs.
- Be prepared to answer questions from fellow passengers about your pet.
- Be patient and understanding if your pet feels stressed or anxious during the journey.
By following these rules and tips, you can ensure that your pet has a safe and enjoyable journey on Indian Railways.
Can I travel with any type of pet on Indian railways?
Only dogs, cats, and birds are permitted as pets on Indian railways. Other types of pets may not be allowed.
Do I need to inform the railway authorities in advance about travelling with my pet?
It is not mandatory to inform the railway authorities in advance about travelling with a pet. However, it is advisable to mention it while booking your own ticket to ensure a hassle-free journey.
Are there designated areas for pet owners on Indian trains?
Indian railways do not have designated areas for pet owners. However, it is advisable to choose a seat or berth that is closer to the entrance to facilitate easier movement when taking your pet out for restroom breaks.