The French Bulldog is now America’s most popular dog breed, dethroning the Labrador Retriever after 31 years. The American Kennel Club (AKC) released its 2022 registration statistics on March 15, 2023, and found that the French Bulldog had overtaken the Labrador Retriever as the most popular breed in the United States.
The French Bulldog’s rise to the top of the popularity ranking is a sign of the changing trends in dog ownership. Americans are increasingly looking for smaller, easier-to-care-for dogs, and the French Bulldog fits the bill perfectly.
French Bulldogs are relatively small, weighing in at just 20-28 pounds. They are also known for being friendly and affectionate, which makes them a good choice for families with children. Additionally, French Bulldogs are relatively low-shedding, which can be a major plus for people with allergies.
The Labrador Retriever had held the top spot on the AKC’s popularity ranking for 31 consecutive years. However, the breed’s popularity has been declining in recent years, likely due to a number of factors, including their size and energy level. Labrador Retrievers are large dogs that require a lot of exercise, which can be a challenge for some people. Additionally, the breed is prone to certain health problems, such as hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia.
The French Bulldog’s rise to the top of the popularity ranking is a positive sign for the breed. It means that more people are becoming aware of the French Bulldog’s many positive qualities, and it is likely that the breed’s popularity will continue to grow in the years to come.
Here are some additional facts about the French Bulldog
- The French Bulldog originated in England in the 19th century.
- They were originally bred for bull-baiting, but this practice was outlawed in the 1830s.
- French Bulldogs were then bred as companion dogs.
- They were brought to the United States in the late 19th century.
- The French Bulldog Club of America was founded in 1898.
- The French Bulldog was first recognized by the AKC in 1898.
- French Bulldogs are typically between 11 and 13 inches tall at the shoulder.
- They weigh between 20 and 28 pounds.
- French Bulldogs have a short, smooth coat that comes in a variety of colours, including brindle, fawn, black, and white.
- French Bulldogs are known for their friendly and affectionate personalities.
- They are also known for being relatively easy to care for.
- French Bulldogs are a popular choice for families with children.
- They are also a popular choice for people with allergies.
If you are considering getting a dog, the French Bulldog is a great option. They are friendly, affectionate, and relatively easy to care for. They are also a good choice for people with allergies.