The British Shorthair is a medium-sized cat with a body that is long and muscular. The head is round with large expressive eyes. The distinctive folded ears are the most prominent feature of the British Shorthair; they are medium in size and are set low on the head with a deep fold in the middle. The coat is dense and plush and comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
British Shorthairs are one of the sweetest breeds of cats for their gentle, good-natured personality. They are affectionate and very friendly towards their owner.
British Shorthair cat price in India
British Shorthair cats cost around Rs. 10,000 to 20,000 rupees in India.
In India, British Shorthair cats can be purchased from various breeders. Prices will vary depending on the breeder the color and pattern of the cat and whether or not the cat is already spayed or neutered.
How long do British Shorthair cats live?
British Shorthair cats have an average lifespan of 15 to 18 years. Some known factors could affect how long your British Shorthair cats live, e.g. genetic disorders, obesity, and poor diet.
You can improve the lifespan of your British Shorthair cat by following these rules:
- Schedule Exercise Sessions
- Plan a Healthy Diet
- Frequent Health Check-Ups
- Neuter or Spray Your Cat
- Keep your cat Indoors
- Proper Home Care
British Shorthair cat characteristics
Besides being treasured for their easygoing attitude about life, British shorthairs are beloved for their thick, dense coats that come in almost any color or pattern. Blue-gray cats, often called British blues, are probably the most popular color choice of British shorthair fanciers.
But aside from their common blue coat, this breed is easy to recognize because of their thick legs, broad chests, rounded heads, and chubby cheeks that are totally pinchable. British shorthairs with blue coats have bold orange-amber eyes, but individuals with other coat colors can have green, copper, amber, or blue eyes.
British Shorthair cat’s monthly expense (estimated)
- Food cost: Rs. 2000-5000. You can save more by opting for homemade foods. Otherwise, if you want to go for premium cat foods, read about all premium cat food brands in India.
- The grooming cost of a British Shorthair cat ranges from Rs.500 to Rs.2000 per month, including skin and hair products. They will require to bathe once a week with good quality shampoos and require brushing & combing daily, and nails should be trimmed every month. Also, they will occasionally require flea treatment.
Hence, the total cost for British Shorthair cats will incur around Rs. 6000 in India per month.
- Additionally, Rs. 15,000 to 20,000 including cat litter, vaccination, training, and vet visits are required for British Shorthair cats in India per year.
Hence, you may have to spend around Rs. 90000 in India per year as your British Shorthair cat’s maintenance cost.
British Shorthair cat’s health problems
Some breeds may be more prone to certain genetic health issues, this doesn’t mean that all cats of that breed will develop these issues, it just means there is an increased chance. There are genetic tests available for some of these diseases. Research what diseases are common to the breed you are interested in and ask the breeder if their cats/kittens have been tested where applicable.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy – a condition where the volume of blood that the heart pumps with each contraction is reduced. This can cause fainting, tiredness, and other signs of heart disease.
- Polycystic kidney disease – a condition where cysts, present in the kidneys from birth, gradually increase in size until the kidney cannot function normally, resulting in kidney failure. A genetic test is available for this disease.
History of British Shorthair cat breed
The British Shorthair shares a common ancestry with the native wild cats of Britain and was first introduced to the United Kingdom by the Romans. It is thought that Romans brought Egyptian domestic cats to Great Britain, where they then interbred with local European wildcats.
Celebrity owners of British Shorthair cats
Some of the well-known British Shorthair cat owners include singer Sam Smith, actress Sadie Frost
Are British Shorthairs cat friendly?
The laidback nature of the British Shorthair cat makes them well suited to family life, with children, other cats, and cat-friendly dogs. They are equally confident when it comes to visitors. With an average energy level, they will happily play with children.
Do British Shorthair cats shed a lot?
Since British Shorthairs do not shed excessively, a weekly brushing will often suffice. However, they do experience seasonal shedding during spring and fall, so your cat may require extra brushings during that time.
Do British Shorthair cats scratch furniture?
Yes, scratching itself would definitely happen, as this is simply in cats’ nature regardless of the breed.
Are British Shorthairs high maintenance?
British Shorthair is a very low-maintenance cat breed