Table of Contents
In continuation with our review of Indian cat food brands, in this article, we will discuss Purina cat food. Purina (owned by Nestle) makes some cat foods with mixed opinions from real users. Some claim them as ideal nutritious refreshments for cats; others think they are expensive and not so good!
If you are looking for a portion of high-quality, nutritious food for your cat Purina can be a good option, if not the best. Purina ONE is their flagship line of foods, and it is supposedly made with real meat and no fillers.
Purina Cat Food
owned by Nestle
- made with real meat and no fillers
- very affordable
- high sell volume speaks of the popularity
According to their website, Purina claims that with 100% nutrition, zero fillers, and natural meat rich in protein, Purina ONE food is all your cat needs for every day and every stage of life.
It’s controversial that they offer a dry formula for the urinary tract health of cats, which mainly occurs from a lack of moisture in dry foods.
How good is Purina cat food?
Purina cat food, albeit popular, is not a good option for your cats. It’s more like colourful, fast food.
Ingredients of Purina cat food
Turkey, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flour, rice flour, whole grain corn, soy protein isolate, soybean hulls, dried yeast, cellulose, beef fat preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural flavour, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, caramel colour, salt, dried carrots, dried peas, choline chloride, MINERALS [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], taurine, potassium chloride, VITAMINS [Vitamin E supplement, niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin (Vitamin B-7), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K)], L-Carnitine.
Purina cat food-our picks and prices on Amazon
|Purina Friskies Seafood Sensation Adult Cat Food from Nestlé, 3 kg||Check on Amazon|
|Purina Friskies Kitten Discoveries Baby Cat Food, Tuna Chicken Milk Vegetables & Whole Grain Flavours||Check on Amazon|
|Fancy Feast Purina Gravy Lovers Cat Food Variety (88 ml Cans)- Pack of 24||Check on Amazon|
Purina cat food-our concerns
- The top ingredients are corn, soy, and rice. That doesn’t sound good enough for cats, who are obligate carnivores.
- 42% protein in the food sounds good, but 9% fat is low.
- Given corn is high in protein, it makes you wonder how much of that 42% protein is made from corn rather than preferable meat.
- It doesn’t matter that turkey and chicken by-product meals are listed first if possibly all of those ingredients mentioned above are in an equal proportion. The two corn inclusions may be equally significant to the meat, which doesn’t account for the rice and soybeans.
- One of the ingredients of Purina cat food is natural flavour. Which flavour is that? Not so clear.
- They’ve added caramel colour. Do cats care about food colour? Who are they trying to impress more? Cats or their owners?
Purina cat food review summary
- Purina claims that it contains zero fillers, and natural meat rich in protein
- owned by Nestle
- top ingredients are corn, soy, and rice
- a bit expensive
- low fat (yep, cats need some cholesterol)
It’s surprising how popular Purina One is. Is it because it’s cheap? Or is it because of clever marketing? From an ingredients standpoint, it doesn’t seem very good at all, given the amount of corn, rice, and soy in a product supposed to be for carnivorous cats.
What Kinds Of Cat Food Does Purina Offer?
- Fancy Feast
- Kit & Kaboodle
- Cat Chow
- Pro Plan Veterinary Diets
Overall, we are not satisfied with Purina cat food. Instead, we recommend Sheba cat food (the best cat food brand, in our opinion), Whiskas cat food, Purepet cat food, or Me-O, which are better options.
Is Purina cat food suitable for my cat?
Yes, Purina cat food is a reputable brand that offers a variety of products to meet your cat’s nutritional needs.
Are there any recalls on Purina cat food?
Purina has had a few recalls in the past, but they have been quick to address any issues and implement safety measures.
What are some of the best Purina cat food products?
The best Purina cat food products include Purina One Indoor Advantage, Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Urinary Tract Health, and Purina Beyond Grain-Free.
Are there any common allergens in Purina cat food?
Purina cat food products may contain common allergens like chicken, fish, and grains. Suppose your cat has a food allergy or sensitivity. In that case, it’s essential to read the product label carefully and consult your veterinarian to choose a safe food for your cat.
Does Purina cat food contain artificial colours and flavours?
Some Purina cat food products may contain artificial colours and flavours. However, the Purina Beyond line of cat food is made with natural ingredients and is free from artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives. It’s always a good idea to read the product label carefully to determine the ingredients in the food.