Life is hard. It often puts us in anxiety, depression, and stress. Did you ever think that the same thing can happen to your pet also? Yes, dogs are as sensitive beings as humans. They can also face fear, restlessness, and anxiety.
There can be many reasons for a dog to be hyper, overexcited, anxious, depressed, and nervous. They can be triggered by loud noise, thunderstorms, firecrackers, fear of other dogs, fear of losing dear ones, or favorite toys. Dogs can be restless while traveling. Learn how to reduce the stress of your dog while traveling.
Read More: Best Dog Breeds to Adapt in India.
23 Signs that your dog is afraid, anxious or hyper
- Decreased appetite
- Goofy behaviour (getting the zoomies, scratching etc)
- Loss of toilet training
- Lifting a paw
- Lowered body language
- Licking lips
- Being too distracted for you to get their attention
- Inability to settle
- Attempting to hide
- Tail tucked between the legs
- Raised hair on the back of the neck
- Avoiding eye contact/averting the eyes
- Scratching self frequently
- Clinginess to owner
- Dilated pupils or seeing the whites of a dog’s eyes
How to calm down a dog with anxiety? (11 crucial points)
- Dogs notice some of your behaviours that you are going out. For example, you looking for your umbrella, putting on your coat, makeups etc. Notice and change the pattern every day. Leave for work 10 minutes earlier tomorrow and use the backdoor :-D.
- Limit your byes and hellos. Ignore them for a while when you get back so that the dog learns about that.
- Don’t let them be alone for a long time.
- Exercise your dog regularly. Exercise reduces stress which helps in elevating their mood.
- Let them undergo crate training.
- Create their own space, with their own toys and stuff.
- Switch on some cool relaxing music.
- Use an audiobook.
- Use a PetCube camera.
- Shop for anxiety treatment pet supplies.
- Most important! Never punish or scold them. Seek professional advice.
How to calm down a dog during fireworks?
1. Keep someplace for them to hide.
2. Stay by their side, comfort them.
3. Close windows and turn or the TV or the sound system.
4. If you have multiple pets, place them together. Let them socialize.
5. Talk to your pet, distract them.
6. Seek professional training and a vet to help your dog.
How to calm down a dog during a thunderstorm?
If your dog has Thunderstorm anxiety, follow these tips to help ease his fear.
1. Give your dog a safe and comfortable place.
2. distract him by playing, throwing a ball, sharing food with him.
3. Play some relaxing music or TV to suppress the sound of thunder.
4. Use a thunder shirt. It wraps around your dog and applies mild pressure, soothing him.
5. Try an antistatic jacket. Dogs’ coats can accumulate static charge during thunderstorms, which causes tingling sensation and makes them afraid.
6. Get a calming cap, which covers the dog’s eyes.
7. Consult your vet or get help from a dog trainer.
How to calm down a dog with separation anxiety?
It’s a common issue that your dog reacts strangely when you are going out of your house. It is more common for young dogs. Symptoms include excessive barking, not eating, destroyed clothes, excessive salivations and drooling, and potty incidents.
1. Be sure they are trained well, at kennels preferably.
2. Use the Petcube pet camera for remote outreach.
3. Whenever you come back, don’t make it a big deal. At first, ignore them and interact with them a few minutes later.
4. Leave your recently worn clothes with your dog.
6. Let them roam freely in the house.
7. Give them a toy or something to play with.
8. Consult a vet or a dog trainer, or a doctor to find out any medical causes if any.